Skip to main content


The regional Museum of Antiquities’ Egyptian collection has been built up since 1833, when a ship named the “Louxor” chartered for Paris docked in Rouen for three weeks. The crew then took advantage of this stop to sell souvenirs brought back from Egypt.

The museum’s Egyptian room reopened permanently in 2012 and conjures up civilisation by focusing on three fundamental aspects: funerary practices (cones, offerings, ushabtis...), the various ancient Egyptian gods and goddesses, and everyday life, particularly through writing.